Business, institutional consultancy and strategic studies
The new techniques of public management and the desire of the business world and the public administrations to provide citizens with a better service have led to a growing demand in external consulting services. DURMES specialises in providing these services and focuses them on:
• Consultancy on public opinion and strategies definition, either temporarily or continuously, for the responsible of the companies of the administrations and of the public institutions to set the action criteria when dealing with internal and external organisational needs.
• Technical consultancy on specialised areas in the public administration sphere, services management, resource streamlining, and general relations with the media.
• In addition, one of the first requirements in the tasks of business and government management is to establish a reliable connexion between institutional management and consumers and clients expectations. Public opinion surveys are a valuable tool for the leading teams and help them to base their decisions (and establish priorities) on information that is as real as possible.
• Analysis of alternatives to outsourcing of public services (municipalities and other administrations). The study has three main dimensions: The internal one concerning the organisation of the consistory and the management of the services that offers (human resources, rationalisation of the expenses, professionalization, possibilities of changes in the orientation, etc); the external one, relating those who receive the service (proximity, quality, flexibility in dedication, answer speed); and the economic one, to analyse the economic feasibility (cost reduction, new ways of income, new ways of management and the opportunity of its implementation).
Study of the socio economic characteristics of an area or service, of its development potential (strong points) and the biggest obstacles facing it (weak points).
To produce the strategic plans, DURMES differentiates three stages:
- Secondary-data analysis, from material resources to infrastructure and services, including the productive and occupational structure and alternative offers.
- Survey of the general population to gauge their expectations and needs.
- Definition of the strategies to follow in order to optimise strengths and overcome weaknesses.
Project impact and feasibility
Studies oriented to accompany professionally all those public, institutional or politic projects that, because of their characteristics or magnitude, have (or could have) a strong social impact, for example, the question is to find out about the foreseeable incidences derived from the realisation of public works, road construction, rubbish dumps, waste processing plants, sport ports, protected spaces, polluting industries, leisure centres, big tourist resorts, shopping centres, bid business projects, new proposals of equipment and services (clinics, cleaning, cemeteries,…) golf courses, etc. All this with the aim of getting to know them.
The aim is to analyse the strengths and weaknesses of each project, identify social resistance (social impact) to projects and foresee possible future scenarios in order to minimise conflicts and undesirable effects on the concerned population and area.